Once you have an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR), you can apply for a provisional electrical licence by contacting your state or territory electrical regulator.

Once in Australia, OTSR holders with a provisional licence or working training permit are required to undertake Minimum Australian Context Gap Training and must work under the supervision of a fully licenced Australian electrician for a period of up to 12 months in Australia. On successful completion, you may be eligible to apply for your Australian qualification a UEE30820 Certificate III Electrotechnology Electrician.

You are required to provide colour copies of your final qualification, apprenticeship certificate, award, a full academic transcript or other documents that include the start and end date of training and details of the program of study.

Step One: Apply for a provisional licence

Contact the electrical regulator in the state or territory where you are planning to work. The full list is available from the Electrical Licensing Page (https://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/programs/electrician-general-and-electrician-special-class) on the Trades Recognition Australia website.

It is important to discuss with the regulator the accepted process for completing any Australian minimum context gap training required to meet licensing requirements.

Step Two: Apply for work in Australia

You can research relevant jobs online (www.jobsearch.) or contact Australian electrical employer associations and your union.


Future Skills International will determine whether your application is 'Decision Ready' before directing you to the Trades Recognition Australia portal to make your application payment.

Step Three: Obtain futher experience and complete Minimum Australian Context Gap Training

Undertake Minimum Australian Context Gap Training

Minimum Australian Context Gap Training is designed to address specific knowledge and skills you need to work in the electrical industry in Australia. The regulator in the state or territory where you are planning to reside, will outline the necessary training required to obtain your qualification.

Further information about the gap training course and registered providers can be found here: https://www.myskills.gov.au/courses/details?Code=10

Record a period (up to 12 months) of supervised employment experience in Australia

You and your employer will be required to record your work experience. For further information on profiling your work experience, please discuss with the RTO you are completing your gap training with.

A skills assessment determines if you have the skills and experience necessary to work in Australia at the required level for your occupation.

Step Four : Apply for the UEE30820 Certificate III Electrotechnology Electrician

The Australian RTO that delivered the gap training can award you the UEE30820 Certificate III Electrotechnology Electrician once you have successfully completed the gap training as well as supervised employment experience required.

Please contact us for more information.

email us

  • fsi@futureskills.asn.au

call us

  • 1300 817 545 (within Australia)
    T +61 7 3848 2298 (outside Australia)

visit us

  • Ian Barclay Building Suite 1.1, 460-492 Beaudesert Road, SALISBURY QLD. 4107 AUSTRALIA.
Enquire Now